Tourism Management & Quality of Life
Implemented a variety of measures to improve the visitor experience and sustain address concerns of residents, including:
- Removal of abandoned vehicles.
- Kapaʻa Skatepark, and pop-up skateparks.
- Virtually shut down the illegal TVR industry; from an estimated 1,400 illegal TVRs to less than 50 today.
- Improved maintenance County Parks and public facilities.
- Parking Fees for visitors at County Parks.
- New Kauaʻi Transient Accommodation Tax (TAT) to fortify County Budget.
- “Kūpuna Hour” at the DMV.
- Finishing the coastal bike path in Kapaʻa.
- Implementing Westside locations for multi-purpose path projects.
- Reducing the number of rental cars on island.
- New strategies for more tourism fees for county-subsidized services.
- Continue monitoring illegal vacation rentals to ensure a spike in the industry never occurs again.
We stay true to our driving vision: “Honoring Our Past, Building Our Future,” and remain focused on our core RISE initiative goals: Responsive Service; Integrity; Solidarity; and Excellence.