There were several major accomplishments, including:
- Addition of 326 affordable units at Lima ʻOla, Waimea Huakai, Koa‘e Makana, Pua Loke, and Ke Alaula on Pua Loke.
- Infrastructure investment to double capacity at KEO homeless shelter.
- Acquistion of property in Kilauea to build workforce housing.
- New legislation — the Affordable Additional Rental Unit Program.
- Purchase of 400 acres between Waimea and Kekaha.
- Successfully distributed just under $16 million to date in Covid-19 Emergency rent and utility assistance to struggling Kauaʻi families.
- Completed the infrastructure work for Phase I of the Lima ʻOla affordable housing subdivision paving the way for 150 new homes by early 2024.
Securing more affordable housing for Kauaʻi residents is a high priority, including:
- Partnerging with developers
- Aggressively identifying, permitting, and implementing “shovel ready” projects
- Promoting “in-fill” development
- Setting aside entitled lands for housing development for future years
- Aggressively increasing enforcement against illegal vacation rentals and securing long-term rentals for residents.
- Begin Phase II infrastructure work at Liam Ola paving the way for another 140 new homes.
- Assist our private development partners through funding and entitlement assistance to quickly bring more privately developed affordable housing online:
- Habitat, Waimea Huakai Single-Family 30-Unit Project;
- Ahe Group, 48 Affordable ocean view apartments at Port Allen;
- Rice Street Partners, 66 affordable units and new retail space in the heart of Līhuʻe on Rice St.
We stay true to our driving vision: “Honoring Our Past, Building Our Future,” and remain focused on our core RISE initiative goals: Responsive Service; Integrity; Solidarity; and Excellence.